According to the NFPA, gas and charcoal grills caused an average of 3,400 structure fires and 4,900 outdoor fires in or on home properties in 2005, resulting in a combined direct property loss of $137 million. To make sure your next barbecue does not go up in flames, the Home Safety Council recommends the following safety tips:
- Designate the grilling area as a “No Play Zone” keeping children and pets well away until grill equipment is completely cool.
- Before using, position your grill at least 10 feet away from other objects, including the house and any shrubs or bushes.
- Always stay by the grill when cooking.
- Only use starter fluid made for barbecue grills when starting a fire in a charcoal
- Before using a gas grill, check the connection between the propane tank and the fuel line to be sure it is working properly and not leaking.
- Never use a match to check for leaks. If you detect a leak, immediately turn off the gas and don not attempt to light the grill again until the leak is fixed.
- Never bring a barbecue grill indoors, or into any non ventilated space. This is both a fire and a carbon monoxide poisoning hazard.
Preparedness is the answer;
STAY CALM and follow your emergency plans.
“BE AWARE – BE PREPARED – MAKE A KIT”
“Don’t Be Scared… Be Prepared”
Remember: Being prepared starts at home:
Don’t fall into the false sense of security that when bad things happen – it will always happen to the “other guy” or, “that will never happen to me”! BE PREPARED, some day YOU may be the “OTHER GUY”!!
This has been another Public Service Announcement from your Henderson Emergency Management Agency where “We Care About Your Safety”.
Leave a Reply