IF THE LIGHTS GO OUT
If you lose electrical service during the winter, follow these tips:
1. Call your utility company first to report the power outage and determine area repair schedules. Turn off or unplug lights, appliances, and furnace to prevent a circuit overload when service is restored. Leave one light on to indicate power has been restored.
2. To help prevent freezing pipes, turn the water off to your home or turn on faucets slightly. Running water will not freeze as quickly.
3. Protect yourself from carbon monoxide poisoning:
DO NOT operate generators indoors; the motor emits deadly carbon monoxide gas.
DO NOT use charcoal to cook indoors. It, too, can cause a buildup of carbon monoxide gas.
DO NOT use your gas oven to heat your home – prolonged use of an open oven in a closed house can create carbon monoxide gas.
Make sure fuel space heaters are used with proper ventilation.
4. Keep refrigerator and freezer doors closed as much as possible to help reduce food spoilage. As a rule, as long as you do not open the doors, a freezer that is half-full should remain in tact for 24 hours, and freezer that is totally full 48 hours. If the power is going to be off for substantial amount of time, take your food out of the refrigerator or freezer and place it in a cooler outside of your home. As long as the temperature outside remains freezing or below, you should be able to maintain your food’s quality.
Leave a Reply