(Public Service Announcement)
from your HENDERSON EMA 12-10-19
“Deck the Halls: Fire Safety”
Holiday decorations may be visually appealing, but they also increase your risk for a home fire. According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) electrical problems cause 38% of home Christmas tree fires.
As you deck the halls of your home this season, follow these tips from NFPA and the U.S. Fire Administration (USFA) to prevent serious electrical and fire hazards:
- Check light sets for frayed or damaged wiring before using.
- Connect no more that three mini light sets for decorating.
- Keep your tree at least 3 feet away from heat sources like fireplaces, radiators, candles or heat vents.
- If you have a live tree, remember to add water to the tree stand daily.
- Always turn off holiday lights before going to bed.
Give the gift of safety this season. For more holiday safety tips, download and share USFA’s “Put Freeze on Winter Holiday Fires” infographic with family and friends.
Preparedness is the answer;
STAY CALM and follow your emergency plans.
“BE AWARE – BE PREPARED – MAKE A KIT”
“Don’t Be Scared… Be Prepared”
Remember: Being prepared starts at home:
Don’t fall into the false sense of security that when bad things happen – it will always happen to the “other guy” or, “that will never happen to me”! BE PREPARED, some day YOU may be the “OTHER GUY”!!
This has been another Public Service Announcement from your Henderson Emergency Management Agency where “We Care About Your Safety”.