Holiday decorations may be visually appealing, but they also increase your risk for a home fire. According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) electrical problems cause 38% of Christmas tree fires.
As you deck the halls of your home this season, follow these tips from NFPA and the U.S. Fire Administration (USFA) to prevent serious electrical and fire hazards:
- Check light sets for frayed or damaged wiring before using.
- Connect no more than three mini light sets for decorating
- Keep your tree at least 3 feet away from heat sources like fireplaces, radiators, candles or heat vents
- If you have a live tree, remember to add water to the tree stand daily.
- Always turn off inside and outside lights before going to bed.
Season’s Greetings from Emergency Management!
Leave a Reply